Things to do Immediately if the Power Goes Out in Your Home or Office!
Power outages are especially common in the West El Paso, especially after a storm. It is important to understand what to do during a power outage.
Turn On Your Emergency Lights:
Make sure your emergency lights are somewhere accessible in case you have to find them in the dark. Ideally, keep a flashlight in each room of your home.
In general, it is better to use battery-operated lights instead of candles because of the fire risk.
See If Your Neighbors Have Power:
If your neighbors still have electricity, then the problem is likely inside your home. Start by checking the main fuses or circuit breakers to see if they have blown.
Check the Extent of the Problem:
If your neighbors also don’t have electricity, you’ll want to see how widespread the problem is. You can do this by calling your power supplier, Entergy.
Contact Family Members:
During large power outages, stoplights and streetlights can go out too – making it unsafe to drive.
If your family members aren’t at home, get in contact with them
When the power comes back on, it can cause a huge power surge which may damage electronics.
Unplug all your expensive electronics from the wall so they don’t get damaged when the power comes back on.
See if Water is Safe to Drink:
When the power goes out, call your local authorities to see if the water is safe to drink.
Keep Fridge and Freezer Closed:
Food kept in an unopened refrigerator will stay cold for about 4 hours.
A full freezer will keep its temperature for about 48 hours.
Save Your Phone’s Battery:
Turn off any power-consuming apps on your phone to save its battery.
Stay Cool (Summer Power Outages):
If the power outage occurs during a heatwave and you have health conditions, then you might need to evacuate your home to a cooler location, such as a shopping mall or church.
Stay Warm (Winter Power Outages):
If a power outage occurs during winter, now is the time to start using your emergency heating method.
Be cautious about using generators, camp stoves, or grills for heating as they can cause carbon monoxide poisoning.