How to Clean Mold From Your West El Paso Washing Machine
Mold grows in warm and wet places, which makes your washing machine a perfect breeding ground. Just because you are washing your clothes does not mean the washing machine itself is getting clean. Mold thrives on residual detergent and wetness left behind in the washing machine. Whether you have a front or top-loading washing machine, below we have outlined how to prevent and remove mold in your West El Paso home’s machine.
Preventing mold in your washing machine is quite simple. Every single time you finish doing your load(s), leave the top lid or front door open, and the detergent drawer open to let the inside of the washer dry naturally. Wiping down the gasket of your washer will also help prevent mold as this spot has a harder time drying naturally.
Another way to prevent mold is to ditch the traditional fabric softer and use vinegar instead. Fabric softer has many additives that mold love and your clothes will still smell just as great using vinegar. Once the clothes have finished, remove them from the drum to prevent extra moisture.
Cleaning your Machine
- Fill the machine with hot water.
- Add 1 cup of store-bought mold remover or create your own.
- Allow it to sit for one hour.
- Allow the cycle to complete normally.
- Keep the lid open to allow it to finish drying or wipe dry.
- Spray the inside with a store-bought or a homemade mold solution and let it dry.
- Add 2 cups of white vinegar directly into the wash drum.
- Run a wash cycle using the hottest water setting to get rid of mold, mildew, and mineral deposits.
- When done, spray the entire area with mold solution and wipe.
- Keep the door open to allow it to finish drying.
Front Loading Machine’s Gasket
- Make sure the washer is turned off and empty.
- Using a damp rag, remove are any foreign substances on or in the gasket.
- Sprinkle baking soda inside the gasket and add vinegar. When bubbling subsides, scrub the gasket.
- Wipe down the gasket with a damp, clean rag, and dry it.
- (OPTIONAL) - Spray with a mold solution to kill any lingering mold and allow to air dry.
- Remove the drawer.
- Soak the drawer in hot water and vinegar for 30 minutes and then scrub any remaining debris.
- Dry drawer and spray with mold solution to catch any extra mold, and allow to air dry.
These tips should help you curb mold in your washing machine, which in excess can lead to health problems. Not only can washing machines cause mold, but they can also flood. Even while taking precautions damage can occur at any time. If you suspect you have a mold or water damage problem know that SERVPRO? of West El Paso is ready to come out and rectify the problem at hand.